When choosing plus size swimwear, consider your individual body type when selecting a style. Find out more about your shape and what styles are most flattering for you with our definitive guide.
We believe every woman is unique, and sometimes their body shape may not fall into a "category". However, traditionally there are 5 main categories when it comes to women’s body types; Apple, Hourglass, Pear, Rectangle, and Circle shaped.
Once you have an understanding of your general body shape and the styles that suit you best it is easier to find your perfect swimsuit.
An Apple body shape is usually characterised by a fuller bust and middle, rounded shoulders, a flat bottom, and slim legs.
When choosing plus size swimwear for an Apple shape we recommend:
- Follow your bodyline. Avoid fussy detailing or embellishment around tummy area. Keep any detailing around neckline area.
- Go for a simple clothing line and avoid unnecessary bulk around your bust, waist and tummy when choosing your plus size swimsuit..
- Your shoulders need attention. Some of the wide strap styles may swamp your shoulders, so go for something on the thinner side. Another great option is our zip front one piece suits with either the frill or cap sleeve. Both these look fantastic on an Apple shape.
- Embrace the tankini, our tiered tankini style is especially flattering as the tiers come down into a point which elongates the figure.
A few of our recommended styles for an Apple are:
3 Tier Ruffle Tankini or One Piece
The 3 Tier Ruffle designs are classic cut bathers with layered tiers that skim over your midsection – super flattering on an Apple body shape. With adjustable and removable straps for a comfortable fit this style will be a staple over summer.
Zip Front One Piece with Sleeve
A flattering round neckline and zip front create a smooth sleek look and the built-in shelf bra will make sure you feel supported. The zip front one piece is perfect for minimising the waist.
Ruffles works beautifully for an Apple shape
A Heart body shape is bigger through the bust and wider through shoulders and generally slimmer through hips and midsection.
When choosing the best swimsuits for heart body shapes we recommend:
- Swimwear Separates. Due to being bigger through the bust it is likely you will be a bigger size on top than bottom. Purchasing separates will allow you to get the best fit.
- Keep it Simple. Avoid fussy frills which accentuate the bust and steer towards details such as ruching and paneling.
- Stay away from big prints, choose block colours or a smaller print to avoid drawing extra attention to bust area.
- Show a Little Skin. V necklines flatter cleavage and minimise a larger bust. Look for details like keyhole necklines which accentuate cleavage without being too revealing.
Recommended styles for a Heart body shape:
Chlorine Resistant Tankini with Bow
Simple ruched Tankini with keyhole and bow will show off a hint of cleavage and flatter the Heart shape’s neckline.
Honey Comb Underwire Tankini
The Honey Comb tankini features beautiful textured fabric and underwire for amazing bust support. The ruched stomach panel is very flattering and shapes your curves.
Structured swimsuits with underwire are perfect for Heart shapes
The Hourglass is a curvy body shape with wide hips and shoulders that are roughly even in size, a narrow waist and bigger thighs and legs.
The hourglass is a balanced shape and suits most styles with fitted styles being especially flattering.
- Look for fitted styles and have fun with frills and detailing on tops.
- Classic underwire bikini tops and bottoms look fantastic and show off your balanced figure perfectly.
- Ruching and wrap styles will show off and flatter your curves and highlight your slim midsection.
- Play around and experiment with fun prints and colours. We have a wide range available in our plus size swimwear collection.
Some of our recommended Plus Size Swimwear options for our Hourglass body shapes are:
Underwire Bikini Top
The underwire bikini top features a detailed, vertical seaming on each cup for a feminine style, strong underwire and moulded cups for excellent coverage and optimal comfort.
Frill Bikini Top
Flattering frills and ruffles create a fun and feminine silhouette and showcase the Hourglass shoulders.
Hourglass shapes can show off their shoulders in a frilled bikini top
Sometimes referred to as a Triangle body shape. Pear shape body types are smaller through shoulders and bust, carrying their weight through hips and bottom area.
- Draw the eye upward and create volume through the bust and shoulder area.
- Embrace frills, fringing and embellishment on the top and around bust and shoulders on your plus size swimwear to draw the eye up and take focus off hips and bottom.
- Our Bandeau swim dresses are the perfect style for the Pear shape, it balances out your body shape and the fabric skims over your bottom and thighs creating a slimmer silhouette.
For our Pear shape ladies we recommend these beautiful plus size swimwear options:
Black Tankini Top
This beautiful plus size swimwear top features a shelf-bra for a comfortable fit and side boning structure to help support your bust - a very feminine and flattering style!
It draws attention to neckline and chest and skims over bottom and thigh area, balancing out a bottom heaving pear shape.
Balance a Pear shape with a bandeau top that skims over the hips
If your shoulders, chest, waist and hips are all approximately the same size you have a rectangle body shape. This is often found in more athletic builds, like swimmers, surfers and runners. The great thing about rectangle bodies is you can choose where you want to draw attention to.
- We recommend a swimsuit with detailing around the waist to draw the eye to that section of your body and make it appear smaller and more shapely, like our criss cross one piece swimwear
- High cut bottoms are also amazing for rectangle body types, this style elongates your legs and slims your waist, giving your body a shapely and thin silhouette.
Fortunately, many styles will fit your body type, it is just up to your personal style to decide what suits you best.
Criss Cross One Piece
Waist details and optical illusions will help you create curves. The Acapulco criss cross one piece uses ribbons of contrasting black and white to add volume to the bust and cinch in the waist.
Creating a waist with criss cross details is ideal for a Rectangle shape
If you find your widest part is your midsection then you have a circle body shape. This shape can be hard to dress as you don’t want to cut into your midsection with too tight bottoms or tops and give yourself an unnecessary overhang.
Two-piece swimsuits like tankinis are your friend here, this will help you find a flattering top and bottom when you may be two different sizes. If you are wanting to hide your midsection tankinis are great, especially ones with a ruffle or A-line shape; this draws the viewers attention up to a smaller part of your body, like your underbust.
Pairing this with a flattering bottom will enhance your curves and make you appear more shapely.
Underwire Swim Dresses
Or choose a swim dress that is broken up with a printed top and plain bottom. This will draw the eye upwards and create a "waist" under the bust.
Use optical illusions such as a printed top to create curves for a Circle shape
The Curvy Swimwear plus size swimwear collections have been designed to offer a wide range of styles, prints and colours with a style to flatter every single body shape.